Saturday, September 24, 2011

Week 3 Assignment

   Kevin Kelly introduced me to new thoughts and a better understanding of the web. At the time of his speech, (December, 2007) the web was almost 5,000 days old. Already it had grown so much. People were able to watch movies, socially network, utilize satellite imagery and check the weather with just a few simple clicks.
   Kevin presented the web as a well oiled machine that functioned as an extension of our collective knowledge. "We are the web" he said. I think it is so cool that people are willing and able to share so much with each other for free!
   The web is an ever growing global machine or "brain" that doubles in capacity every year. By 2040 the web is expected to exceed humanity in processing power. Kevin Kelly states that "We have to start believing in the impossible." Who knows how the web will change in the next 5,000 days. Perhaps we will be webporting (the web version of teleporting) around 2040.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it amazing where technology can take us? I kind of feel like I am back in fifth grade and trying to imagine what life in the future would be like (I guessed flying cars and no landfills!)... I found his speech to be intimidating and confusing. I definitely think we are at the beginning of the technological age, though.

    ReplyDelete